Hiking Granada’s River
Want to see something different? This is your tour. Our 15km hike has been designed to get you out of the hustle bustle and along the city’s main artery – it’s river. Paint a new picture of Granada as you stumble upon the city’s forgotten landmarks, lush fields and intertwined olive groves.
- Hike the River Darro between Granada’s looming mountains
- Discover one of the caves of Sacromente and the gypsy way of life within
- Breathe in the lush Andalusian countryside
- Reach the lost building of Granada as you escape the bustle of the city
On this 15km hike we will follow Granada’s main artery – the River Darro. Stretch your legs and discover how, on the mountains in the dry city of Granada, life was able to flourish. We will take you back to its roots and to find what remains from this forgotten tale.
We will meet at Plaza Nueva and from here follow the trickling sounds of the water as hike out of Granada. Discover the “walk of sad people” (where it’s really not all that bad) and the caves of Sacromonte. This is the perfect chance to unearth the city’s “gypsy” way of life, it’s vibrant colours, and of course roots in flamenco.
Cross the city’s boundary as we take the dirt road, through the fields of olive trees and along the river’s path. Hear more about this rich land that contributes to what is one of Granada, and Andalusia’s, main and most delicious industries: olive oil.
We hike along the river to the Cortijo Jesus del Valle, a building lost in time. Once a religious building of the Jesuit order it held an important agricultural purpose before being abandoned. It’s now time to rest and enjoy the peaceful nature around you before heading back into the city with your guide.
Please note, this is a 15km hike and can be challenging in parts. Please bring a bottle of water (we can refill your bottle) and a hat.
- Schedule: Daily, time confirmed at booking (Not available in June, July and August)
- Duration: 7 hours
- Difficulty: 3 / 5 (this is a 15km walk along dirt paths)
- Group size: 1-8 people
- Meeting point: Plaza Nueva, next to the fountain (also the end point)
- Expert guide as you hike from the city
- Insider tips
- Gratuities (optional)
- Hiking equipment (no special equipment is needed, please wear adequate footwear)